Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Reflections and After Thoughts on Springeck

Springeck was a fun filled and insight event in which the knightly virtue of Prowess was practiced most.

During the first day of the event, it started with sparring or free play.  This is where we fought against one another to test each other skill at a chosen weapon or skill (longsword, messer, dagger, spear, rapier, sword and buckler etc.).  For me it was a refreshing day to refine and take a critical look at my martial skills.

During the first match, I began to use the guards of the longsword according to Fiore de Liberi.  The first match I considered to be a warm up from my many hits by my opponent, yet I was able to land a few blow though visually it did not appear that I was out of range.

The next three matches with the longsword were done with growing energy and using range and defense and a few thrusts to the hands and up close pommel strikes.

The next three matches were conducted with the dagger, the spear the the rapier according to V. Saviolo, these matches went well to my surprise.  I recall that in my training that it is wise to train in every weapon form.  The dagger bout was spontaneous as I was able to get into close with ease, a few times I did attempt the techniques as described from Fiore.  The Spear match was a first for me and went very well to my own surprise.  The rapier match also went well as I recalled the principles of combat as described by Saviolo.

After doing ten matches I was winded, and surprised by my duration. After taking a breather, I began to think about how far my journey of self training has lead me and so far I can say lead me to versatility with many weapons. Yet I know that I still have a long way to go in regards to experience in fighting.


The second day was relaxed as the morning was spent with two classes.  Afterwards more free playing commenced and I participated.

My thoughts from these two days can be summed up as this: confirmation of martial versatility and the need for refinement and level progression.

Why is this important?  The improvement and refining of prowess is a reflection on refinement and maturation of self.


The only two times that I remember participating in free play were in the summer of 2012 and early this year in January.  In between 2012 and January of this year were days that were spent refining and polishing the basics and principles of knightly combat.  The event was a test to see how far has that training has carried me, and I will say it has carried me to a great length.

The knight or the warrior never ceases in the training of his prowess.  The knight never lets one day pass without his training.  Why?  Because the training helps the knight to not only reach higher levels of prowess but also higher levels of self refinement.

I will post more thoughts on future HEMA that I will participate along with videos so that you my readers can witness what I have described here.


Train on Valiant Knight!

2 comments:

  1. What have you learnt from the matches ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I have learned from the matches is that I am skilled and my prowess or martial skills can be made better. Also that I need to be more bold and not worry about every blow, rather I should take each blow as a lesson.

      Delete